Thursday, November 19, 2009

Motorola and AT&T Customer Service Experience

Last night and this morning I had the chance to deal with both Motorola and AT&T customer services.  It’s an interesting comparison.

My wife’s new phone wasn’t functioning properly when we got it via UPS, so we did our due diligence with it before calling Motorola.  This included using the instructions that came with the phone and using various online sites to no avail.

I called Motorola last night from a land line an hour and a half before their closing time.  Four dropped calls in an hour and I finally gave up for the night.  One even lasted 18.5 minutes.  What a waste of time.

This morning I got through on the second call, but it wasn’t all good.  I had difficulty understanding her.  It wasn’t her accent that was so bad, I mean ever try listening to someone from New Orleans or Boston?  The problem was the volume her voice came through.  I cranked the handset volume all the way up and I just continued to struggle hearing her.  Low volume international accent ridden calls just suck.  “Excuse me”, “huh”, “what was that”, ” could you repeat that”.  Sheeze, what a pain.

Plus the lady was robotic.  There was nothing in her voice to indicate anything what-so-ever.

Eventually the lady on the other end of the phone had me jump through some hoops with the phone and came to the realization she couldn’t help me.

In the end Motorola told me to contact AT&T.  So I called them and lo-and-behold the gal was in Oklahoma City!  I could hear her fine and better yet, we could understand each other.  Heck, I had a real person on the phone in just a couple of minutes.  Customer service nirvana.

I told her the problem and my experience with Motorola and she set me right up.  She could send me a new phone or I could stop by the store and pick one up.  I picked one up at the Virginia Beach Blvd location near Princess Anne High School.  Todd was very helpful, even downloading an app for me to check out.

Oh yeah, the AT&T phone rep even did me one better.  I told her since I’ve been such a loyal customer I should get a free phone.  Guess what, I’m getting one!  Exactly what I wanted, too.

I know it doesn’t sound like much, but being able to understand and hear the person you’re talking to really does make a difference.  While talking to the Motorola rep I was in pain, but it was a pleasure speaking to the AT&T rep.

No comments:

Post a Comment