Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Android 2.1 for the Droid? This week

One of the main reasons that I purchased the Motorola Droid was that it is a “Google Experience Device” meaning that

the DROID is a Google Experience device, which should theoretically mean that it’s more likely to receive fast and frequent software updates than its skinned cousins like the CLIQ. The Google Experience is sort of the “gold standard” Android showcase for the company, so to speak, and it’s in Google’s best interest to keep it rock solid at all times — and since there’s no third-party skin to re-validate after every Android version is released, the update process should go a heck of a lot smoother. – from Engadget’s DROID review here.

OK. That makes some sense. I was happy when I first received my Android 2.0.1 update about a month and a half ago. That was awesome. Something that I have been biting my tongue about was the Android 2.1 update that is currently running on the Nexus One.

I remember a couple of weeks ago there were some rumors flying around that Verizon was starting to push out this 2.1 update and it even made it’s way to Engadget. After a couple of days of waiting and further investigation this was found to be false and it looks like us Droid users are still waiting in the wings.

Here is the problem that I am starting to see. Android devices are being released at a break-neck pace. Even Motorola is expected to put out a couple of new Androids the first half of the year. I suspect with these new phones we will see the updated OS and because of that Motorola may find themselves not as concerned with updating their flagship device. If this is the case, Motorola is going to piss off a lot of very tech centric and vocal customers (this one included).

With all that said…

Engadget points out that Moto’s official Facebook page lets us know that they are sorry for not giving information sooner and that Android 2.1 will start rolling out this week. I have been checking my DROID obsessively and no-go on 2.1 for this guy… yet.

I will post something after I get 2.1 detailing what has changed.

[Via http://droidsmith.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment